Dear Readers,

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

It's been nearly 2 years since I started this blog, almost 400 posts full of reflection, observation, and some often nonsensical crap that has no place on the Internet or anywhere else. I started it during a time in my life when everything was terribly confusing, a time when I needed an outlet badly enough that I chose to pour every thought in my twisted little brain out onto the web for strangers to peruse. I was 27, questioning everything in my life and everything I thought I'd ever believed in, all the things I'd ever held to be absolutely true...it was all up in the air, and I was searching for some magical thing that would turn my life into something that would finally make sense, something I could finally feel proud of.

2 years later, I feel no closer to that magical thing. I'm in a different career, but not one that I feel the least bit good about (though my paycheck is quite a bit larger than it was 2 years ago...remember, this side of 2 years ago I was slinging packages at UPS). I've made a few new friends, but none I couldn't live without. I'm a little smarter, perhaps a bit wiser, and have even sprouted a few gray hairs to match.

My children are thriving, and I'm starting to think that maybe I haven't fucked them up too bad after all. 2 years ago, Cameron had just been diagnosed with Autism (which he seems to be outgrowing, thank GOD), Andrew still wasn't talking much or progressing academically, and Brandon's behavior issues were just starting to escalate...so in that area of my life, I can say there's been definite progress. Really, that's what's most important, and as far as the "legacy" that I will leave behind, they are and will continue to be my proudest accomplishment. Everything else is trivial. If they're ok, then nothing else matters.

The kids are out of school as of today, and my heart is just aching because this will be the first summer that I won't be there for them during the day. It doesn't feel right. I'm praying that this will be the first and only summer that I have to be away from them. I know they'll be well cared for and will have a ton of fun without me, but I hate it all the same.


My marriage is good, too. I'm married to someone who makes me laugh every day and who would lay down in front of a train for me and the kids, so again, what more can you ask for? I'm lucky. The husband is a good doobie. There aren't many like him.

In spite of these "good" things, I'm still terribly disappointed in myself as a person, and I'm starting to think that maybe I'll never get to a place where I'm content with myself and my accomplishments. Perhaps my expectations are too lofty, but at the same time I feel they should be. A professor of mine once said, "You're either green and growing, or you're ripe and rotting." Personally, I'd rather not rot, but at the same time I'd rather not be dousing myself with pesticides in order to grow into the nice tall vine that I wish I could be. Perhaps climbing the trellis isn't for me; maybe I should stick close to the ground and end up growing into a nice healthy shrub.

For now, I'm staying in my job, but actively looking to greener pastures. I won't make any rash decisions, but my plans for the long term definitely do not include my current employer. I'm hoping to go back to teaching, not this year, but the following year at the latest. The husband has some prospects on the horizon that could allow me to do just that, so fingers crossed that it works out. I miss it so much; when I was teaching, it was the one time in my life that I actually felt like I was accomplishing something. I need to get back to that place. I wasn't meant to be a cubicle warrior.

So here I am, 2 years later, better off in some ways and worse off in others...I suppose this is normal, the ebb and flow that is life, but I'd truly hoped to be further along in the life plan than I am. At the same time, I don't feel the inner conflict that I had when I started this thing, hence I don't feel the need or have the inspiration to write as regularly as I used to. Even when I have a good story, the words don't come as easily as they used to, probably because I work full time and don't have the hours that I used to have to put my thoughts into type. Perfectionist that I am, if I don't have the time to dedicate, I simply won't do it.

Anyway, if anything major changes, I'll drop a post. Otherwise, I don't think I'll be stopping in much any more. To my few loyal contributors, I thank you for "listening" when I really needed it, and for putting up with my increasing absences and decreasing post quality. You rock. And you helped me more than you'll ever know.

7 Comments:

  • At 6/12/2007 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I understand where you are coming from.

    Sometimes you wonder is this really what I'm suppose to be in life? Life satisfaction isn't always what you expect. Sometimes a, well I didn't fuck that up so bad, is better than a WOW! Look what a great job I did!

    You should be proud of your accomplishments & stop counting your supposed failures.

    If teaching is what you should be doing then freakin do it! If it's not in the district you live in then branch out. Don't limit yourself.

    I'll miss your sarcasm & twisted views on life. Selah!

     
  • At 6/13/2007 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Where are we supposed to be? It never seems that we are at that place. The place we've worked so hard to get to.

    This is my first time my son is not in day care and will not spend the summer there. I understand your disapointment that you will not be there summer caregiver and mostly getting to spend time with them.

    You may not be where you think you should be, but you are where you are for a reason.

    I've spent countless days, weeks, hours wondering what I should be, should be doing, etc. What I've learned is the countless hours I've spent worrying about all of this is pointless. I always seem to be where I should be in the long run. It may take time, but it works out.

    Be happy that you do have the man that you do. You are blessed with that and that he supports you so. Most do not have that.

    We're still cheering and praying for you.
    You will get where you need to be and you need to believe in that. Just know it may take some time.

    Stay strong and keep striving for it. You will get there.

    Until you do. We've got your back!

     
  • At 6/13/2007 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Disappointing in some regards, but I certainly understand the feeling better than anyone. I suspect to see you every so often my dear. Don't disappoint. You are one of the few connections to my observations of normal family life. Whether family life is normal in and of itself is debatable, but I digress. Remain vigilant, things find a way of working out for good, hard working people.

     
  • At 6/13/2007 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I will miss your blog. It was something I really looked forward to. I understand your decision, though, and wish you nothing but peace and good things. Take care, K.

     
  • At 6/14/2007 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll miss you K.

     
  • At 6/15/2007 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have made me laugh, cry and wince (mainly at the hole in your foot!). I really enjoy reading everything you have to say and think that you do have an ability to put your feelings into compelling words! All the best in life and go for the teaching. Good luck K, i will miss your humour!
    B, England.

     
  • At 6/16/2007 11:48 PM, Blogger Washington Crunchy Mama said…

    Completely understand where you are coming from. I found you when I accidently came across the grocery store entry (and some really funny stuff about Coke zero, I believe) ~ I never laughed so hard in my life.

    You're a great person K, it comes thru in your writings and I am so glad you were here for us to "meet" you.

    Hope you post once in a while :) I'll miss you!

     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    SaveNetRadio.org