Thank-You Letters

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Dear Aunt C:

Thank you for torturing me this past week. Watching my Grampa die apparently wasn't hard enough, as you felt the need to nitpick my every reaction. I rubbed his foot and you told me I should stop because it was causing his leg to twitch a bit. You took off the whole morning on that last day, and you yelled at me when I called as we were waiting on you to discontinue life support. Fuck this, fuck that, blah blah blah...now I can't go to the bank and clean out Grampa's safe deposit box, fine, I'll fucking come back right now [click]. Thank you for remembering what was really important: his stuff. God knows we'd all try to take it from you if you didn't get to it first.

I was particularly moved by your "constructive criticism" of me the first time he stopped breathing. Remember? You told me it was my fault he didn't die right then because he wasn't going to move on if he was still hearing my voice. I looked upon him and cried after he was gone and you told me to knock it off. Every emotion I had, you critiqued. Thank you for being there to remind me that nothing I did was right. Next time somebody near and dear to me dies, I'll remember you and try to do better.

Rot in Hell,
K



Dear Aunt S:

Thank you for calling me while my Grampa was gasping for his last breaths to get directions to a good restaurant. I'm glad you ate so well while you were here...God knows you kept the local restaurants and liquor stores afloat with all of your patronage! Also, I wanted to say that starting a fight with Aunt C at the Chinese place and driving her to throw terriyaki at me was quite entertaining! Genius really, bravo...oh, and thank you for bitching behind everyone's back, and going on about how you'll be contesting the will. I don't know what I would have done without you.

Kiss Kiss,
K



Dear Mom:

Thanks for not showing up to your own father's wake, and leaving me to fill your place in the receiving line and explain to everyone why you weren't there. I didn't expect you to be there to support me, and I deeply appreciate you proving me right. I'm sure Grampa didn't mind, I mean he's already dead so who cares, right?

Wishing You Were Normal,
K


Dear Great Aunt L and Uncle J:

Thank you so much for bringing a level of sanity and grace to a situation where there was so little. I wished every day that our family could have been more like yours, and that Grampa could have had a marriage like yours instead of the craziness & infidelity he ended up with. I bet you don't make your kids go to a Chinese restaurant on Christmas Day. God bless.

Hoping You'll Adopt Me,
K



Dear Grampa:

I love you and miss you terribly, and I'm so sorry that we're all completely insane. We mean well. We're just...retarded. I sincerely hope you're in a better place in death, and not surrounded by crazy bitches as you were in life. Just know that I wanted better for you, even if I didn't have the power to make it right.

Love Always,
K


5 Comments:

  • At 2/17/2007 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know I don’t comment much on your blog, but today I feel the need to.

    You forgot to thank yourself for being the only level headed one of all the entire family. You tried your best to make everyone get along this past week, and for the most part, kept everyone from ripping each other’s heads off.

    Just remember, if it were not for your strength and active involvement to "do what grandpa would have wanted," the wake and funeral would have been a disaster.

    I know you often applaud my strength in times of crisis, but you've surprised me this week by "rising to the challenge." Looks like you’ve finally realized you have the strength in you, so don’t sell yourself short again.

    You’re the reason everyone pretended to get along these past few days.

    You know I’m always here if you need an ear or a shoulder.

    Your loving husband,

    P

     
  • At 2/17/2007 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just realized that I forgot to say what I was leading up to......

    I am so proud of you.

    Yeah, I know...I'm a dumbass.

    P

     
  • At 2/17/2007 10:30 PM, Blogger K said…

    No, I'm the dumb ass because my first thank you should have been to my wonderful husband for helping me keep me from completely falling apart for the last 7 days.

     
  • At 2/17/2007 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Usually I laugh until I cry (or pee) when I am reading your blog. Today I just cried. I am sorry that you are going though this. You are very lucky to have a great Aunt and Uncle and a wonderful husband to get you through these hard times. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
    ~Erica~

     
  • At 2/19/2007 10:48 PM, Blogger S said…

    Pass the Kleenex. I'm crying big sloppy tears here for ya. Your blog was amazing today. What dumb asses! P is amazing- he really stepped up to the plate! I'm sorry for your heart break. I really am.
    ((hugs))
    Sandi

     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    SaveNetRadio.org