Great. Just great.

Monday, October 16, 2006

I received a call today that Oldest Child "trashed his classroom," and that I needed to come in. It's gotten so every time I see the school department on my caller ID I start having a panic attack...I used to get excited, thinking maybe it was a job opportunity, but now I know it's going to be nothing good. I packed up Youngest Child and headed in to survey the damage.


"Trashing the classroom" is apparently defined as 5 chairs tipped over and a pencil box tossed on the floor. He was annoying other students by waving his folder in their faces, and refusing to do his work. When I got there, the I asked the vice principal what normally happens to kids like this, and she informed me that he would go to an alternative classroom environment that normally is home to emotionally/mentally disturbed kids. My knees literally almost went out from under me.


He's never hurt anyone else...well, not intentionally, he did throw a pencil that ended up sticking a little girl in the neck...and I don't consider him dangerous, but apparently they do and they're documenting everything they can to support their case for shipping him away. Never would I classify him as mentally disturbed, but at the same time I recognize that I'm too close to this whole thing to be 100% objective. The thought of him being in such a place is making me want to throw up.


So now the fight is not to get him the services he needs, but to keep him out of an alternative school where I'm terrified that he will leave worse off than when he goes in.


So much for Harvard.

7 Comments:

  • At 10/16/2006 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    K - I think you are too close to the situation to see it from any other point of view. If one of the students in my childs classroom were tipping over chairs and basically causing disruptions on a frequent basis, I would want him out of the class. I, too, want my child to learn and when one student requires this much attention, then it's time for him to be in a place designed for him. That doesn't mean that it is punishment for him, or even that he isn't liked. It just means that other students need to learn, too. He may actually do better in an environment that is more closely monitored and more closely supervised. Best of luck to both of you.

     
  • At 10/16/2006 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I definately see it from the teacher's standpoint, but don't you think that he might need an aide or someone to help him keep focus during the disruptive times. I had a student like him last year...and with help from a one on one aide she made tremendous growth. It wasn't that she was trying to be malicious or even hurt anyone, but she just couldn't control some of her more disruptive behaviors. All I would have to do is give her one reminder...then the aide would take her out for a walk to get out whatever she needed. My problem is that if you send them to another classroom, they will never learn the social skills that they so obviously need. Hang in there K! Keep pushing for the positive and try to steer them away from the negative.

     
  • At 10/16/2006 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have nothing to offer bug hugs and prayers for you all. This must be so hard for you all. I know you put your all into being a mother and look out for the well-being of your children. Stay strong and I hope you find the best place for him to learn.

    Sending big hugs.

     
  • At 10/17/2006 9:28 AM, Blogger K said…

    I think an aide is exactly what he needs, but the fight will be getting the school to pay for it. They'd rather warehouse him than address his needs more appropriately.


    *sigh*

     
  • At 10/17/2006 8:51 PM, Blogger ~Erica said…

    K - I'm not sure if "their" school is anything like the one here, but I can say that the one here sounds a lot worse than what it actually is. I was actually speaking to one of the counselors from M's camp this past summer today. He said that unfortunately, schools don't have the "outlets" that ADHD (such as) kids need - even such things as gym class. At their school (it's a high school here) they have other activities to engage the kids & aids that do one on one work. A few friends have worked there and have told me that there were kids that were steps away from jail (don't mean to scare you) that went to being all A students. They just needed ways to vent and have outlets (like gym, art class that they could actually DO something).

    Hang in there. I know it's tough. You know how to find me if you need a shoulder.

     
  • At 10/18/2006 9:42 AM, Blogger K said…

    The principal actually brought up home tutoring. WHAT? The kid is THAT unmanageable that he can't even be in SCHOOL? I find that hard to believe. I can't imagine that having a one on one aide I (which I think I can get, if I push it) would be more expensive than HOME tutoring!

     
  • At 10/18/2006 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I got nothing as far as suggestions for where to go. I think you've gotten some good ideas here and have some good ideas as well.
    But let me tell you this, you're gonna find what works for you as a family. You are doing the best you can. Keep fighting.

     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    SaveNetRadio.org