...and so it begins

Friday, August 04, 2006

The 11th hour phone calls from principals desperate for someone to fill in for the plethora of maternity leaves that plague the profession have started coming in...I expected this, as everyone new to a school system has to "do their time" as a substitute, but 1 month stints and weeks (sometimes months) of unemployment in between aren't really something I can do. I have a family, and I need health insurance, so anything less than 6-8 months at a time is just not do-able for me.

On the flip side, if I don't start getting out there and making myself known to the various principals in the city, I'll never get a permanent job. Fuck me.

Last week, I got a call from a principal in the ghetto for a 3 month sub job. Now, I have no problem working at an inner-city school...I actually prefer urban environments, and my own city is a very small step above "ghetto"...but I can get a short term gig here. I'm better off building relationship in this school system rather than foraying off into another where nobody knows me, so this one is a no-go. Moving on.

This morning, I got a call from a very nice woman that I've done some sub work for before. She has one job that would be for about a month, and another that would last until Thanksgiving. I really like this particular school, so I will definitely go on the interview, but the no-health-insurance problem persists. I'm already slated to start back at the hellhole Monday night, so I could do both, but of course I'll be setting myself up for yet another nervous breakdown with 70 hour weeks and very little sleep.

Fuck me. Again.

And then there's the issue of going back to school. I figure if I'm going to be forced to sling packages, I might as well soak the fuckers for all they're worth and take some classes, but I can't really take classes if there's a possibility that I might pick up a sub job during the school year. I could take an online program, but there are so few that are purely online, and the one I really want to take (a graduate certificate program for special education) is $1300 a class. Argh.

I need to somehow balance the needs of my family (not just for health insurance and income, but taking care of them as well), my career, and my own sanity without fucking the whole thing up by taking on too much (which I have a tendency to do). I feel like any decision I make could possibly end up screwing me over.

Somebody please tell me what to do. I need an omniscient being to come down and set me on the right path. Or Mistress Cleo. Either way.

3 Comments:

  • At 8/04/2006 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm certainly not an omnipotent being, just an avid reader and a teacher. My 2 cents: work at the hell-hole and take the classes for your certificate. When that is done, you'll be ready to look for a job. I wouldn't worry so much about being 'known' right now by the schools, worry about your sanity. Once you're certified, they'll be in line to hire you I'd bet!!

     
  • At 8/04/2006 1:37 PM, Blogger K said…

    I'm already certified for mainstream elementary, but a sped certification would definitely move me up on the list a bit.

     
  • At 8/04/2006 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Let's think "outside the box" for a moment, K. Why do you want to teach? Is it the whole room of students that you want to teach, or are there the few that you really want to make an impact on? Why not, at least for now, work at the hellhole, slowly work on your grad certificate and do some tutoring on the side. Market just like you would any business, letting the principals know that you are doing it (make up brochures/business cards to give them). Talk to the teachers that you know and tell them that if any parents asks about tutoring, to give them your brochure.

    You are way too smart and way too valuable to fall prey to the system. Work around it!

     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    SaveNetRadio.org