Who's winning here?

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I ran into an ex boyfriend at the supermarket this morning. He was my first real boyfriend, we dated intermittently from 8th-12th grade, and I was his prom date. We parted on friendly terms, though I haven't seen him since I was probably a freshman in college.


Of course today was the day that I rolled out of bed, pulled on the sweatpants, didn't put any makeup on and put my hair up because I hadn't washed it yet. I was just stopping into the supermarket quick and there he was. We'd always been competitive throughout school, so of course we immediately started comparing notes on where we are in our lives:


Me:

  • Master's Degree
  • Married
  • 3 kids
  • Own a home
  • Currently unemployed, probably going back to the hellhole next week.
  • Chubby




Him:

  • J.D., passed the bar exam last year
  • Married
  • No kids
  • Living at home w/ parents
  • Currently working at the supermarket stocking shelves until he can find a job as an attorney.
  • Still short, with a hugely receding hairline


Needless to say, we were both kinda doing the walk of shame as we parted ways. Clearly, we both expected to be doing far better as we approached 30. We were both considered "smart kids" in school, expected to do great things in our careers...yet here we are, both of us underemployed, wondering when the fuck everything is supposed to fall into place.


As it turns out, it's the "average" kids who have turned out to be most successful...the ones who were popular and were involved in lots of activities...those who had the brains to get into a trade or who took a chance and opened up a business.


Interesting how once the "smart" kids get out into the real world, they ain't so smart any more.

4 Comments:

  • At 7/25/2006 7:10 PM, Blogger Marc said…

    I dont think its a race. You have to find a slice of happy in what you have.

    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it.

    Or was that 20% blowjobs and 80% apple bangin'?

    And I think I know that kid...at home huh? that sucks. wait at home and marrried?

     
  • At 7/25/2006 7:54 PM, Blogger K said…

    Sandi, I don't even know what the hell that is. Marc could start up his OWN dictionary site with his extensive collection of dirty talk.


    Marc, I think he got married while he was in law school and THEN moved home with his bride in tow. It's funny because we were BOTH avoiding catching each other's eye, but I had to go get pickles and breakfast sausage and that's HIS part of the supermarket, so we inevitably had to acknowledge each other.

    Fucking pickles and sausage always get me in trouble.

     
  • At 7/25/2006 8:29 PM, Blogger Marc said…

    ignore my wisdom and focus on the apple bangin.

     
  • At 7/28/2006 11:10 PM, Blogger Jess said…

    K - apple banging?
    fucking sausages and pickles?
    It's a grocery orgy!

    I obviously shop at the wrong supermarket.

    Wait, that might be a good thing...

     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    SaveNetRadio.org