Back to Basics

Saturday, July 08, 2006

In case you didn't pick this up from my previous post...I am going back to the package-handling-hellhole-that-shall-remain-nameless, probably within the next few weeks.


Seeing what I'm going to be up against for the next 2-3 years - substitute positions, intermittent health insurance, being laid off 10+ weeks a year with no unemployment benefits - I'm seriously re-evaluating what I've gotten myself into. The husband and I did the math, and as it turns out, I wasn't all that far ahead financially as a teacher than I was as a supervisor at Hellhole. Between daycare costs, exorbitantly expensive health insurance (that is bare bones, by the way...my kids can't even get PHYSICALS), teacher union dues, and the money I spent on classroom materials, I was almost dead-even. How sad is THAT?


I called up my old supervisor, who was thrilled to hear from me...apparently, they haven't been able to find anyone to permanently fill my position yet...and I will find out next week exactly when I shall return.


Honestly, with all the bullshit I've been through this year, I'm almost happy to leave it behind. The teacher I was stuck with was an absolute tard whose big health ailment turned out to be DEPRESSION. A note from her shrink gave her full license to call in whenever she wanted, which is why they hired me, to be the consistent presence for the kids and to appease the angry parents. She hated ME being there because I held her accountable, and made sure the kids got what they needed. When I showed up, she had assessments from the first month of school that never got corrected...the rank book was a mess...they were weeks behind in Grammar and Math...just a mess. She was very territorial, and even though I was there more than her, she made me get her approval for the most minute changes in lessons. She played games with my head, made me feel like I could do nothing right, and dropped piles of her bitch work on my desk while she shopped online for shoes. We weren't even speaking by the last day of school. Honestly, she is a waste of skin, and teachers like her are what is wrong with the entire system. Fuck her. I hope she rots.


I've decided that women are insane. Every job I've had with large groups of other women, there have been these power struggles and constant bitchery...backstabbing, sabotage, mental disorders, you name it. Individual women are great, but once you get a group of them together, watch the fuck out because they'll eat you alive.


Men are much easier to work with, and I'm actually looking forward to being in building with 300 men as opposed to one room with a psychotic bitch.


Anyway, I still plan on subbing a day or two a week...leaving my options open...and using the Hellhole to pay for some classes. I'm actually thinking of getting another degree, since I'm NOBODY if I'm not getting an A in something. My husband thinks I'm insane, but I'm finding that I'll make more money with an associate's degree in a specific field than with my Master's. I'm still working out the details on that one, but I'll keep you informed.


If nothing else, the Hellhole is always a wealth of blog-worthy material.

4 Comments:

  • At 7/08/2006 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know you must be so disappointed. My GF is having the same issues. Just got denied for a job she thought she had in the bag. Everyone told her she was is for sure. Like you, she loves teaching, making the most of it and would be someone we would all want our kids to learn from. Tonight she is out "dancing" in order to make the bills. It pisses me off.

    The system is such a shame and awful for our children. Another friend who is trying to get a special ed position was just informed that our local school (where our kids go) hired someone from SC to fill the position. Why not fill it from your own town. Makes no sense. DS's aunt is a K teacher and here district eliminated 50 positions this year. Maybe teachers should be voted in by the parents and not the Bureaucrats who are "looking out for our kids" What a bunch of shit.

    Sorry you have been put in this position. As I know how you love the hellhole. Sounds like it may be the best thing for now. Even tho it's not what you want to "be". Tho I will be waiting for the interesting bloggings relating to it.

    Know you're not my only friend that has been shit on by the system. I'm thinking about ya and hope it will finally work out it your favor.

     
  • At 7/08/2006 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    K, that sucks! I have been there. I guess the same thing happens in every district. This is why so many new teachers leave the profession, only to have the bitter old sucky teachers left behind. This, believe it or not, will be my 3rd year at the same school teaching the same grade (after teaching 7 years). In my district this is a shocker. All the guys low on the totem pole are subject to involuntary school transfers and sh*tty positions, but at least we have a job, right? I am sorry to hear about this happening to another good teacher. I hope that your new job gives you a chance to laugh at stupid people and gives you some long overdue entertainment!

     
  • At 7/08/2006 11:40 PM, Blogger K said…

    I'm not ruling it out...but I had such a bad year that I don't think I can get right back in the saddle again. The degree I'm thinking about getting will be something that would complement what I've already got. I have the license, and can always go back...since the Hellhole will cover tuition, I figure I've got nothing to lose by exploring a little. :)

     
  • At 7/09/2006 3:43 PM, Blogger K said…

    oh God no...I'm not going to law school, LOL. I'll leave that to you, Sam. ;) Besides, I don't have another 20K for an advanced degree lying around, ya know?

     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    SaveNetRadio.org