Confirmed Loser

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

My die hard readers will remember my elation at having secured a teaching position for the school year, as well as my disappointment when I was told that my current school would not have a job for me next year. Well today, the saga continues.


I was at a training (I'm taking 2 grad classes and have attended 3 trainings on top of that so far) and was talking with a woman who is in a similar position, only she's been in this position for several years. She asked if I'd gotten my "letter of reasonable assurance" yet, and of course I had no idea what she was talking about. As it turns out, this piece of paper prevents one from collecting unemployment during the summer months. I told her I'd gotten no such letter, and she snickered. "You'll get it this week. Trust me."


Lo' and behold, what did I come home to but a letter from personnel in my mailbox. "Reasonable assurance" that I might have a job as a long term substitute next year, which could be a job that lasts anywhere from 2 months to the entire school year. Apparently, there is a loophole for the school department written right into state law.


I am so bullshit right now I can't even see straight. It's not MY fault I'm unemployed! I applied to work summer school, and was denied due to budget cuts. I've been applying all over the region, but won't get calls back until at least August because all these bastards at the school departments don't work during the month of July. I can't go back to the hellhole just yet because I MIGHT get called back to work in the fall.


How are people supposed to live like this? This is just one reason why more quality people don't bother becoming teachers. Letters of "reasonable assurance" certainly don't pay the bills.

4 Comments:

  • At 6/27/2006 5:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Not a loser! (there loss not yours)

    That said- Hang in there, teachers are so under-appreciated but one day it will come and you can sing that good ol song "I will survive"
    OK that was lame!!

    Sending big hugs!

    Steph

     
  • At 6/28/2006 2:27 PM, Blogger K said…

    I heart Bukes.

     
  • At 6/29/2006 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hell, for that matter, I *heart* Bukes, and I don't even know ya!! Hang there, sweetie! It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.. Sadly, those saps like us who raise the future, get the shit for pay!! Guess that's when you have to ask yourself if it's worth it.. I LOVE teaching and left a job paying almost triple to do it.. Would I do it again, to receive the love I get from those children?? In a heart beat!!

     
  • At 7/01/2006 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Unfortunately my sister is in the same position you are in right now. She was let go because he teenage daughter showed up 10 minutes before school let out and wasn't dressed according to school dress code. How screwed up is that? She'd never been written up before and yet they just suddenly let her go after she demanded that they follow their own protocal and give her a verbal warning first instead of written warning going straight into her record so as retaliation they fired her. Schools are just way too political these days and they need to be more worried about the education good teachers like you and my sister are giving the kids than political garbage.

    Good luck pounding the pavement K! Always enjoy the blog.

     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    SaveNetRadio.org