Losing it

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Today, I had to brave WalMart with all three animals in tow. Normally, I wouldn't, but the husband is out of town and being out of milk and bread I didn't really have much choice. Middle Child, as you may know, is autistic, and has been getting increasingly difficult as time goes on, particularly in public places. Well, today he was in rare form, and he broke away from me and ran about 10 feet before I caught him.


As luck would have it, there was a guy in crutches standing in the 10 items or less line who got bumped as Middle Child ran by. It wasn't anything that would have knocked the guy over, but enough to be annoying to someone who is already off balance. I had my mouth open to give the obligatory, "Oh my GOD I'm so sorry" apology that I am used to giving when my son misbehaves, but before I could get there, he had a few words of his own.


"WHAT THE FUCK! FUCKING LITTLE BASTARD..." He and his mother glared at me before turning back to the line.


I was absolutely stunned. I've had people be less than understanding in such a situation before, but never to the level of swearing at my child. I must have turned beet red because I could practically feel the steam coming out of my ears.


K: "EXCUSE ME?"


Nothing.


K: "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY TO MY SON?"

The mother turns around.


M: "He just bumped my son! He's on crutches!"
K: "I saw that, and I apologize, but tell your son to watch his mouth."
M: "Then maybe you should control your brats."


This was the point at which I absolutely lost it. I knew the day would come that I would have it out with a stranger over my son's disability, but I really didn't think this would be that day.


K: "It was an ACCIDENT. I've apologized."
M: "An ACCIDENT? They're running through the store like maniacs!"
K: "There is NO EXCUSE for you people to talk like that in front of MY small children."
M: "CONTROL YOUR BRATS, LADY."
K: "MY SON IS AUTISTIC, YOU JERK. Do you have ANYTHING ELSE you'd like to say???"


[silence]


K: "Yeah, I didn't think so."

[more silence]


K: "Perhaps if you'd given me a chance to apologize and explain before calling my child a vulgar name, you would have known that."

M: [under her breath] "Then perhaps you shouldn't take him out in public."


I had to walk away at that point. If I'd hung around any longer, she would have been on the floor bleeding.


I stood in a line far away from Mrs. Bitch and her demon spawn, one hand on Middle Child (who was pitching quite a fit), and the other on the cart, trying to check out calmly as about a hundred people stared at me. Some had that, "You poor thing..." look on their faces, and others just shook their heads at my apparent inability to control my brats. As any special needs parent will tell you, this is the kind of moment that nightmares are made of. I finally got to the car, ushered the kids in, and took a moment to breathe as Middle Child screamed in the back seat.


Out of nowhere, this lady walked up to me.


"I just wanted to say that I have 2 children of my own who are autistic, and I know what you're going through. Those people were heartless and cruel, and you handled it the best you could."


Right there, in the parking lot in front of WalMart, I burst into tears in front of a perfect stranger.


Anyone who knows me well would tell you that this just isn't something that I would ever do. I am not hyper emotional in public. I do not make scenes, and will generally be the first to knock those who do. I avoid drama and conflict with other people whenever I can. I've even been complimented on my level of calm by strangers who have observed me quietly dealing with one of my fit-throwing children. It took some gimpy asshole in a WalMart for me to push aside that level of calm that I work so hard to maintain.


I didn't get this lady's name, but her taking a few minutes to talk to me and tell me that I wasn't a raving maniac was one of the kindest and most generous things another human being has ever done for me. It was as if she was sent specifically to keep me from losing it altogether. An experience like that isn't something that you can bitch to your girlfriends about over coffee; only someone who's been through it can truly understand what you're feeling, and can offer words that actually make you feel like you're not crazy.


So here I sit, still shaking, going over my actions in my mind, wondering what I could have (or should have) done differently. Perhaps I should have ignored the enormous asshole who was swearing at my son, and walked away. Maybe I should have done without the damned milk and not gone to WalMart at all. I don't have the answers. All I know for sure is that this won't be the last time something like that happens, and knowing that is what is making me want to throw up right now.

11 Comments:

  • At 4/20/2006 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe you should have bitch slapped the Fucking Big Bastard....probably how he got on crutches anyways.

    Sorry K. He was heartless and insensitive. Regardless of any disability, children act up sometimes-people need to remember that. I don't have the cleanest mouth, but I would NEVER say that to a child!!!!

     
  • At 4/20/2006 7:44 PM, Blogger K said…

    "Fucking Big Bastard". Oh shit...thank you for the laugh. I needed that.

     
  • At 4/21/2006 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have one son, with no disability other than being a wild boy. I can't imagine having to truck three of them around. Especailly, one with autism.

    From what I know of you, you give your heart and soul to them, and take care of them before you take care of yourself.

    I myself am one to grin and bare (sp?) it. To walk with my head high. I've been through a lot and don't tolerate being treated like shit much anymore. (One of the reasons I am now single.)

    However, if someone were to speak that way to my child, disability or not, I would have had quite the conversation with him. I would not have restrained myself as you did. That shows class and respect for your children.

    I probably would've kicked the sob's crutches out from under him and bitch-slapped the mother for raising such a shit. I am not tolerant of intellegance or ignorance. At least your children know you have the dignity to stand up for what is right.

    It's so easy for others to judge us and assume we have "no control". May they walk in our shoes for a day.

    How dare she say you should not bring him out in public. She is so fucking wrong! He's a wonderful little boy who, unfortunately, was dealt a different card. You continue to bring him everywhere, walk proud, and hold your head up high. I can't imagine the difficulties you go through everyday because of it. I applaud you and your strength for dealing with it everyday. I'm sure it's not easy.

    You Rock! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

    And, God Bless that special lady that came along when you needed her. Someone is looking out for you. She let you know you're are not walking alone.

    Stand proud Girlfriend. You have every reason in the world to.

    Love you!

     
  • At 4/21/2006 12:25 AM, Blogger Jess said…

    Oh, K -

    My mom had a cross-stitch - nothing fancy or flowery or cutesy - just plain white canvas with straight black letters - it read
    'I'm doing the best I can'

    Somedays we all need to be told that.

    Hugs to you. And Squirt. Was he scared at all of the angry people?

     
  • At 4/21/2006 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello, us again. You remember a few months ago we said we love you.

    Well, just to let you know, we love and respect you more!

    You're a great mother and are obviously proud of your children, no matter what!

    WE LOVE YOU K!

     
  • At 4/21/2006 10:05 AM, Blogger K said…

    You guys are making me cry. Seriously. Thank you for making me feel less like a crazy person.


    My son was much more agitated after it happened, but that could have been a coincidence. He doesn't talk, so it's hard for me to say, but he is definitely aware of the world around him and he certainly noticed his mother having it out with a couple of strangers.


    My husband, needless to say, was and is completely ripshit. He wants to camp out at Walmart and beat the hell out of the guy. "I just want to find A guy on crutches right now...any guy...and kick the shit out of him."


    Anyway, I keep this blog as a means to work through my shit while simultaneously attempting to improve my writing...and you guys have definitely been a help in the "working through my shit" area. I don't necessarily write it for an audience, but I do write it knowing that my hundred or so loyal readers will be there for me even if I'm feeling melancholy or uncreative. THANK YOU FOR THAT.

     
  • At 4/21/2006 11:46 AM, Blogger Maglet said…

    That was disgusting to say to your child! But ya know what... Karma is a huge bitch with a string bikini on. He'll get his! Good for you for speaking up. I'm like you--I can take a lot, but if you say something nasty to one of my kids... your ass is mine! :o)

     
  • At 4/21/2006 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have four kids of my own and it is a tough job WE are doing every day. You are doing the best you can and doing a fine job. Don't let any nasty bitch tell you any different.

    Ditto~God bless the lady who came up to you in the parking lot. What a kind gesture that was!

    You are not alone, K!

     
  • At 4/21/2006 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awww, K!! I'm sorry that you had to deal with a prick like that.. I commend you for your restraint, as like the others, I would have kick the asshole in his leg!! God forbid ANYONE who talks like that to my child!! They should best be prepared for an ass-whooping! Granted, I may say some "not nice" words around my DD, it's MY DD... no one else better say them around her!! {{HUG}}

     
  • At 4/22/2006 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Seriously K you are my hero! If that was me the mother would have walked out needed crutches and the asshole son of hers would have had his crutches shoved up his arse! Lovely mother she is having her grown son talk about a child like that!

    I so know what you are going through though. My youngest DD has a autism spectrum disorder and life with her is fun! Just tonight I spent 30 minutes with her in the bathroom at Babies r us as she screamed and ran around yelling bugs over and over and over again. People looked at me like I was nuts!

    I can't keep her cooped up in the house so if people don't want to deal or can't deal then maybe they should stay the fuck home!

     
  • At 4/24/2006 2:54 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    Oh, K. What a shit thing to have to deal with. Having a child with any kind of disability is hard enough, but having people act like total fucktards in the meantime certainly doesn't help. At all.

    Whoever that woman was, she deserves a medal. That was a lovely thing to do.

     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    SaveNetRadio.org