LooHOO...serHER...

Sunday, April 09, 2006

DISCLAIMER

As you know, I so rarely edit a post after the fact, and I never retract, but judging from my comments I'm getting a feeling I should clarify.


I am not saying that all people who play RPG's are pathetic losers. I am saying that those who spend most of their daylight hours playing them, in lieu of actual human interactions and relationships, ARE. Those who take it as seriously as they would an event in real life are subject to ridicule.

Those wise souls who acknowledge that there needs to be a balance between online and real life are NOT losers. As I said, to each his own. I don't have time for that shit, but some do, so more power to them.

______

As it turns out, many people pay $15 a month to play World Of Warcraft, which is an online role playing game (or RPG, as it is known to geeks the world over). There are various guilds and I guess they run around blowing each other up and casting "Level 12: Magic Wand" spells upon each other for the sole purpose of wasting time until there comes a day when they are finally laid. Whatever. To each his own. I've generally paid little attention.

Today I came across a fairly hilarious story. Apparently, a popular WoW player died IRL ("in real life", to those of us who don't speak geek) and her fellow players decided to have an online "funeral". Someone hacked into the dead chick's account, stood her by a lake and spread the word so other players could come to this location (specifically picked out because she "loved the water") to pay their respects.

This, alone, is somewhat odd...but whatever. Again, to each his own. But a rival guild, seeing an opportunity to blast the asses of unsuspecting enemies, planned an ambush. Oh yeah, and they captured the whole thing on video.

WoW Funeral Ambush

The video flashes back and forth between the funeral (as I said, it's on a lake, and there's this mournful music playing and a line forming to go see the dead chick by the water) and the guys running through the woods to launch the attack (also set to music). When the scene goes to the funeral, you see a couple of the guys from the rival guild getting into the receiving line.

Suddenly, one of them walks up to dead chick, and blows her away. Then everyone else jumps out of the bushes and carnage unfolds.

Angry message board threads popped up all over the internet, some angrily protesting such a heinous act, and others pointing and laughing.

LOLZ, U GOT PWN3D N00B!


Sadly, I can't help but point and laugh myself. A funeral? Online? For somebody you've never actually met, and could quite honestly be playing possum?


Some people are really fucked up and sad, thus making them open to ridicule. Heh heh.

11 Comments:

  • At 4/09/2006 7:53 PM, Blogger Wizzie said…

    "Some people are really fucked up and sad"

    I am one of those people... See, we're not all bad?

     
  • At 4/09/2006 10:35 PM, Blogger K said…

    Bobber, please tell me you didn't attend this funeral. If you did, I may have to slap your British ass around a bit.


    RPG's have their place, I mean, everyone has an escape...but it's all this business of taking it a bit too seriously that makes these particular gamers an object of ridicule.


    Wasn't there some chick in China who died of exhaustion after sitting in front of one of those fucking games for 4 days straight? I mean, damn!

     
  • At 4/10/2006 10:51 AM, Blogger Wizzie said…

    There was a girl who did that, yes.

    Anyway, I don't have WoW: I'm not geeky enough to spend about half of my money each month on fookin' game subscriptions.

    And I agree that some people take it FAR too seriously.

     
  • At 4/10/2006 3:28 PM, Blogger K said…

    I realize that some of my readers probably play this shit, but if LBCapt and David went to this shindig, I'm banning their IP's.


    :D

     
  • At 4/10/2006 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4/10/2006 7:13 PM, Blogger K said…

    fucking spammer

     
  • At 4/10/2006 11:28 PM, Blogger LoveBoatCaptain said…

    Let's PLEASE make this perfectly clear - I am the COMPLETE ANTI-WoW! Anybody who knows me knows that I actually don't even call it WoW. It's NoW - Nerds of Warcraft. I pull no punches regarding this, as I've had some friends who are SO wrapped up in it that it consumes their lives - and that it's that horrible combination of creepy and sad... The group who does play (and you know who you are) constantly give me shit for my anti-NoW sentiments... But, they're still my boys... I'm stuck with them... :)

    Dammit, Spammy - you are not Eric... Your "instigating" rights have been pulled until you know how to use them correctly...

    -El Capitan

     
  • At 4/11/2006 7:14 AM, Blogger LoveBoatCaptain said…

    Revoked, I said! Revoked!

    :)

    -El Capitan

     
  • At 4/11/2006 1:14 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    Hmmm.

    Well, I can see having some sort of something for someone (did I use some enough there?) that you only know online. I know a woman in France, someone I've never met face-to-face, who is a lovely person and has made an impact on everyone on the boards where we both post. When she was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years back, there was an outpouring of support and offers of help/a shoulder/chocolate/booze from those near and far.

    That said, yeah, I do think a full on funeral is a little weird, but maybe it was their way of doing something. I also think that those that attacked the people at the "funeral" are really shitty articles.

    I don't know if I'd go so far as to laugh and point, but I'd probably be snickering up my sleeve.

     
  • At 4/11/2006 3:36 PM, Blogger K said…

    sPammy...LOLZ! U got PWN3D, N00000B!!!


    Every day, I get down on my knees and thank the blog gods for Babylon, who sent you both forth upon my humble web space. Always guaranteed to entertain.

     
  • At 4/11/2006 4:11 PM, Blogger K said…

    You make a valid point, Julia...I also have a couple of people that I have "met" online that I have fairly regular contact with that I would consider "friends". I'm part of a message board community that is fairly close knit as well.


    If someone died, or was hurt, or had some other tragedy (which HAS happened in the past), we take a collection for the family, send flowers & cards...things to that effect. We don't have a virtual funeral.


    I still find it ridiculous. I figured I'd get differing opinions, which is fine of course.


    As a side note, the dumb bunnies who set this thing up apparently did so in an area of the game that is MEANT for battle. I guess there are protected spots they could have gone to instead.

    Poor planning + taking shit too seriously + a game that is meant for battle = you just got your funeral crashed.

     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    SaveNetRadio.org