Dealing

Monday, March 27, 2006

I've never been a drinker. I've always been one to partake a few times a year, and very rarely to the point of utter impairment. My husband, who was a major practicing alcoholic right up until I met him, is not a big drinker these days either. Our friends used to make fun of us because our "liquor cabinet" consisted of half-empty nips and a bottle of wine that we kept on reserve in case we had company. True story.

These days, we have a decent variety of hard alcohol on hand at any given time, and we seem to be going through it at a fairly steady rate. A bottle of rum that used to hang around for a year or two seems to disappear within a couple of months. A big bottle of Kahlua seems to have a shelf life of just a few weeks in the K household. Containers seem more often nearly empty than anywhere near full.

Our consumption seems to still be far below average...I did a bit of research, and it seems that the average person can have a couple of beers or glasses of wine a day and still be considered a non-drunkard. Personally, I know I'm below that, but it worries me that I feel a need to drink at all when I never did before.

It takes a lot of stress to get me to the bottle of vodka; the problem is, "a lot of stress" is any given day of the week. 4 solid hours of listening to three children try to kill each other, coupled with the inevitable potty training accidents (shit explosions are almost always guaranteed to drive me to drink) is my usual segue to Stoli-ville. One drink is all I have, but it's a fairly strong drink; maybe 2 inches of vodka at the bottom of a 16 ounce glass. It makes me feel warm, calm, and a little bit numb all at the same time, almost like instant Prozac.

I breathe, I sit down, feeling some of the stress leave my body, and it's ok. Everything is ok. Another day down, about 15,000 more to go. Great. Bring it on.

I rarely drink enough that I wouldn't be able to drive. I never drink enough to have a hangover. But it still worries me. I never needed it before, why do I need it now? What the fuck, is this just a normal part of being an adult that I was never told about?

Or is this how alcoholics get started?

I'm sure I'm being melodramatic, as I am writing this with a big fruity vodka drink sitting in front of me, but nevertheless it makes me wonder. The funny thing is, when I have a drink in front of me, I have no desire to hit the fridge, effectively replacing one vice with another.

It seems that not everyone has such an obvious vice though. There are plenty of people who are thin and have their shit together, like those mini-van driving moms that you see running around in Keds and size 2 designer jeans. How do those bitches do EVERYTHING...carpooling, soccer coaching, PTA, bake sales, girl scouts...and still be so fucking THIN???

Clearly, they all have bottles of vodka hidden in the linen closet. Maybe they're not so cool after all.

6 Comments:

  • At 3/27/2006 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think you answered your own question.

    I never needed it before, why do I need it now?

    "a lot of stress" is any given day of the week. 4 solid hours of listening to three children try to kill each other, coupled with the inevitable potty training accidents (shit explosions are almost always guaranteed to drive me to drink) is my usual segue to Stoli-ville.

    Just watch that you don't get carried away with it. A drink a day or every few days is no big deal. I found myself indulging too much. I've since cut back.

     
  • At 3/28/2006 11:36 AM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    I'm counting the weeks (months, maybe a year or more) until I can drink again. I miss it. Not getting drunk, I don't like getting or being drunk, but I do like that little buzzy tingle I get from a glass of wine or a pint of beer.

    I don't think you've even put a foot on the path to being an alcoholic. I don't think you've even put your shoes on and left the house, actually.

     
  • At 3/28/2006 12:19 PM, Blogger Riss said…

    So what you're saying is that I should stop dumping vodka into my morning bowl of Cheerios?

    I have a tendency to binge drink when I'm out with friends and having a really good time. Apparently that's a sign of potential alcoholism so I never drink at home, just leave that can of worms unopened.

    P.S. - Some people just have crazy metabolism/body types. My girls are 2 1/2 and I don't work out (though I want to tone up) but I fit into my pre-preg clothes. Need to watch the waist though, my extra pounds only settle there. It'd be nice if they hit up my boobs and ass once in awhile.

     
  • At 3/28/2006 3:21 PM, Blogger K said…

    I know I'm overreacting. I'm just hoping that I don't start attacking the bottle with the same amount of gusto as I do a pan of brownies. *shudder*


    Damn my addictive, obsessive personality.

     
  • At 3/28/2006 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brownies are really good with Baileys.

    Just sayin.

    ~Philly

     
  • At 3/28/2006 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811853292/qid=1143595434/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-2613499-8371261?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

    I saw this book in a Barnes and Nobel one day and laughed so hard I stressed my bladder limits! It spoke to me. I needed to hear it was ok to laugh at people practicing yoga. I wanted to follow someone down the path of overindulgence! If you want to know why Kahlua and cheerios is the breakfast of champions, BUY IT!
    "So long, South Beach. Farewell, fat-free. Adieu, tofu. Retox is here to help bring back the good times and friends that fell by the wayside on that mind-numbing path to health and well-being. Putting the fun back in dysfunction, this antidote to detoxification calls out soul-searching, colon-cleansing, fasting, and fish oil. Broken down into informative chapters on all aspects of life—from Diet to Grooming to Relationships to Career—Retox goes where no book has gone before. It asks the tough questions such as: "When did irrigating one's bowels become a pastime of the rich and neurotic?" It offers tips on better loving while under the influence. It reveals exclusive Pretty Mess Makeover tips and much, much more! Far more effective than acupuncture, and not a total crock like reiki, Retox is designed to produce real change"
    ((hugs K- I'll come visit you in the Retox unit))

     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    SaveNetRadio.org