I can't seem to get away from vagina...

Friday, January 13, 2006

At recess today, the children were allowed to play in the field for the first time since early December. Poor weather and mud has forced us to the dreaded indoor recess for quite some time, so the kiddies were pretty amped.

As we ventured outside, the teachers began looking at each other sideways, alarmed...apparently, nobody had done a walk-through beforehand, and there were broken beer bottles and some interesting graffiti adorning the concrete walls.

I was standing near one of the walls when I witnessed the following conversation between two third grade boys.

Boy1: [points to wall] "What's THAT word?"
Boy2: "I dunno...lemme see..." [squints]
Boy2: "Oh, it's VUH...GIH...NUH."
Boy1: "THAT'S NOT A WORD!"
Boy2: "Well, it's not English, that's for sure."
Boy1: "Then what language is it."
Boy2: [thinks] "It's definitely Chinese."
Boy1: "Why would someone write Chinese on a wall?"
Boy2: "Who cares? It's a stupid word, it doesn't even make any sense."
Boy1: "HEY! Let's go read the words on THAT wall!"

[Boys run excitedly to the graffiti that's in red spray paint on the other end of the field]


At least they were excited to be reading. God, I love teaching in the city.

2 Comments:

  • At 1/13/2006 4:11 PM, Blogger min said…

    I should've stayed with teaching.

     
  • At 1/14/2006 8:50 PM, Blogger Wizzie said…

    So should I!

    If only I was still a teacher... (distant sigh)

    ...

    Wait a second....

     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    SaveNetRadio.org