Turkey Balls

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Yesterday, my students were in music class and I was sitting at my desk grading papers...again...when the Vice Principal walked in. Vice Principal has a very heavy accent and was waving a bunch of papers around, so this was all I got out of the conversation.

VP: "I need you to have the students write about sweat."
K: "Excuse me?"
VP: "Sweat, they need to write about sweat. And balls."
K: "Ummm..."
VP: "I need it right away." [rushes out of the room to the next class]

I sat dumbfounded...what the fuck...

I walked next door to the other fourth grade teacher.

K: "WHAT does she want us to do???"
T: "Oh, she needs a writing sample. From the bathroom incident the other day."
K: "oooohhhh...I see..."
T: "We need to make up a sentence for the kids to copy down."
K: "What kind of sentence?"
T: "One that uses 'ugly', 'sweaty', and 'balls'."
K: [stares]
T: "Yeah, I know. I'm still trying to come up with something myself."

What could I possibly have them write? Possibilities raced through my mind:

  • The ugly boys played soccer and ended up with sweaty balls.
  • The boy's balls were ugly and sweaty.
  • The sweaty girl laughed at the ugly balls.
  • Ugly balls can't be sweaty.
  • Sweaty balls are always ugly.

fuck...fuck...fuck...

Finally, I came up with this:

The ugly turkeys played with basketballs
until they were sweaty.


"Gobble?"

The children were greeted with this festive message as they came back from music class.

Girl: "Mrs. K, WHAT is THAT?"
K: "Here's some paper, boys and girls. You need to copy this down."
Girl: "But WHY?"
K: "Just do it. Make sure your name it on it."
Girl: "Sweaty turkeys? That's DISGUSTING!"
Boy: "It's not 'sweaty', stupid, it's 'sweetie'."
Girl: "Is not."
Boy: "Is too."
Girl: "Is not."
Boy: "Is too."
[repeat 10 more times]

K: "OK! That's enough. Just cut it out. We need to write this down." [proceeds to make the mistake of reading the sentence aloud]

Boy: [whispering] "Haha, the teacher said 'balls'."
K: "You just lost your recess, pal."

I collected the papers and asked my most dependable student to bring them to the Vice Principal. I proceeded to have a very mature conversation with one of my girls.

Girl: "Are we going to write more about sweaty turkeys?"
K: "No, open up your reading books."
Girl: "But why did we have to do that?"
K: "Just because."
Girl: "That's not a real answer!"
K: "Yes it is."
Girl: "But WHY?"
K: "Because I said so."
Girl: "But WHY?"
K: "Because I'm bigger than you. Reading books, page 157 boys and girls!"
Girl: [walks away, defeated]


I can make 22 nine year olds write about sweaty turkey balls and not even have to tell them why. Teaching rocks.

3 Comments:

  • At 11/23/2005 5:57 PM, Blogger Wizzie said…

    I would have just chalked the words up on the board, placed a pen and paper in front of each kid and with a menacing stick in hand, point at words, then pencil, then paper until they all do my bidding.

    Mystery always adds to the fear! As does dysentry but that's a completely different story.

     
  • At 11/23/2005 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Reminds me of the Saturday Night episode with Alec Baldwin, Molly Shannon and the other chic.
    Too funny.

     
  • At 11/23/2005 11:08 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    Y'know, I've had to stop reading your blog at work. Maniacal laughter is not something that happens often and it gets me noticed and I'm all about flying under the radar.

     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home

     
    SaveNetRadio.org